Sunday, September 29, 2013

How to Cut Your Novel--Five Steps

Your Manuscript Is...

--Way too long
--Contains too much filler
--Extremely wordy
--In dire need of cutting
--Overly descriptive
--Has unnecessary backstory
--Full of unneeded adjectives

Folks, this is normal. If you're a writer then you've definitely heard at least one of these statements before. Whether it's from a critique partner, literary agent, editor, or even your dear old mum; believe me when I say they are correct. This sort of revising is simply part of every writer's life. It's just something that has to be done. About a year ago literary agent Vickie Motter told me to cut 60k of my book (I know. I was way over the limit) and it was the best advice I ever received. She didn't have to tell me that. Initially she rejected my query. I politely asked for feedback and she promptly responded to my email. She took the time out to address the concerns of a young novice. Not all agents do that. It rarely happens, really. It took me a bit of time, but this five step process below really helped me clean up my manuscript. Check it out.

Step One: Consult the Experts
- Don't be afraid to raid your bookshelf. Pick up some of your favorite books you share the same genre with and skim through them. Discover why you adore the book so much. What is it about the characters, wording, premise, and so on that keeps your eyes glued to the pages. Simply jot down some notes regarding what those books contain that perhaps yours doesn't. It's very simple, this step, and I find it extremely helpful.

Step Two: Read, Read, Read
- Read over your own manuscript and MAKE NO CHANGES YET. Highlight possible problem areas. Make short notes in the review/side margin.

Step Three: *Rubs Palms* Now Down to the Nitty Gritty
-Look for adverbs, mainly those ending with "y" and determine whether they're necessary.
-Were, That, Was....believe me, most of the time you don't even need those words. Passive=Ugh.
-Watch out for too descriptive paragraphs. The sort readers tend to skip or skim.
-Get those unnecessary adjectives under control. They can turn a really good line into an annoying one and even confusing one.
-Backstory--I guarantee you, nobody likes it in a book...unless it's like totally awesome though.

Step Four: Tell the Readers Something they DON'T KNOW
-Writers tend to give information the reader already knows. This is extremely annoying.
-Characters' thoughts can get really annoying, especially when they are repetitive and ridiculously long. This goes for monologues as well. Those can get boring very fast. And most of the time I find them unnecessary. Show the reader a story; provide a clear picture. Don't just tell them a tale.
-Don't let dialogue go on and on and on and repeat the same old information "just to make sure the reader understands." Believe me...they get it. They got it the first time.

Step Five: Perhaps I Missed Something
-Repeat the above at least 3x before handing it out again. You want to make sure the person who told you to cut your novel sees a major difference. Give them a Book Hangover. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment