Monday, August 26, 2013

Hey Film Adaptations! Why Alter Brilliance?!?!?!

So over the weekend I finally (I've been waiting on this film for the past two years, mind you!) saw The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie with my dear friend Ames! As typical movie goers we were pleased and pretty much impressed with the outcome. However, as avid readers and huge fans of the book series we expected a bit more. Hollywood loves to shake things up a bit though, right? Right. Nevertheless, I truly do applaud the cast, Cassandra Clare, the production team, writers and yada yada yada...BUT I have a bit of a bone to pick with Hollywood in general. My question isssss

Why alter brilliance? There were some BIG differences between the book and movie. I'm just saying!

Now, the cast/characters were virtually true to the books, but I would have preferred Mr. Bower to pull off a better sarcastic (although Jace claims it is for the imaginatively bankrupt folks), troubled, and hauntingly beautiful Jace. The other characters were virtually spot on--Simon and Alec were performed quite well--but I hope to see more of Isabelle's complex personality in the next movie. And Magnus Bane...well, let's just say I'd love to see more of that guy in the next film. Bom chicka wah wah, anyone? As well, what the heck happened to Max!? The youngest Lightwood! He should have made an entrance towards the end. As well as the Lightwood mom. And Raphael Santiago! Got to love Hollywood, right?

Another aspect of the film that had my gears-a-grindin' were the altercations regarding major and minor plot details. I just don't get it--why mess with perfection? I don't know about any other reader but I can distinctly recall Valentine (that awesome, awesome villain--yeah I tend to root for the wrong side, what of it?!) to have white hair and NOT BRAIDS! Where the freak did the braids come from? Why were his eyes leaking crocodile tears? Good Lord, keep the villain just the way he is. Hardcore, wicked, manipulative, and dark as hell.

Also, Clary was supposed to kill the demon with a sensor. Okay, so I admit that explaining this creative device would have been a bit challenging for non-readers, but c'mon! I did not care for Jace swooping in and saving Clary like she's some damsel in distress. I was looking forward to her throwing that in Alec's face later on but...it never happened.

Additionally, I wanted Luke to fight Valentine and exchange a few choice words....like it happened in the book. I wanted Simon to turn into a rat....like it happened in the book. And I didn't want the demons breaking into the institute and the showdown going down there....totally not like it happened in the book.

”MortalAnd don't even let me get started on Church the cat. That little sly devilish thing of a cat didn't even make the big screen! Shameful! But not that shameful because I harbor a deep hate for cats--childhood scars, don't ask.

All in all, it was an excellent film but as a reader of the books, I know exactly what was missing and what was added and let me tell yah...this girl right here was not too joyful in that aspect. But hey, I get it...to an extent anyway. I just hope the next film stays a bit more true to Ms. Clare's written work.

No comments:

Post a Comment